101 Town Center, P.O. Box 5655, Bella Vista, AR 72714 (479)876-1255
Controlled Burns


Additional Resource

View All

Controlled Burns/Burn Bans


Burn Bans
Burn bans can be issued by both the city and county fire officials when conditions are unsafe for burning. Outdoor fires of any kind are prohibited during a burn ban issued by Benton County or the Bella Vista Fire Department. Contact the Benton County Department of Emergency Management at (479) 271-1004 or click here for more information on county-wide burn bans. Burning materials during burn bans is considered extremely dangerous to people, buildings, trees and grasslands. Violations are punishable by fines and/or imprisonment.

Controlled Burns/Burn Permits
Prior to burning, read the rules then submit the form below or call 479-855-3771.
You are allowed to burn certain materials on your property in a controlled setting, as long as a burn ban is not in place. For questions about burning dilapidated structures, please call the Fire Department at 479-855-8249.

Burning rules:

  • Check for a burn ban before burning.
  • Complete the form below or call 479-855-3771 anytime before burning.
  • Stay close to the fire at all times.
  • Have a water source nearby.
  • Put the fire out if the wind picks up.
  • Have the fire extinguished by dark.

OK to burn:

  • Yard clippings
  • Leaves
  • Tree limbs and brush

Do not burn:

  • Household trash or garbage
  • Construction waste
  • Demolition waste
  • Treated lumber or wood scraps
  • Tires
  • Chemicals

Arkansas State Air Pollution Control Regulations Section 18.6 (b) prohibits the open burning of certain waste materials. Specifically, it states: “No person shall cause or permit the open burning of refuse, garbage, trade waste, or other waste material, or shall conduct a salvage operation by open burning.” Household trash, construction materials and demolition waste — including lumber and/or wood — cannot be burned according to State Law.

How can you get rid of waste or trash you can’t burn?
Republic Services
Benton County Solid Waste District

Controlled burn at Brittany Dam

The City of Bella Vista Fire Department conducts periodic controlled burns on dams and other areas in the city to control vegetation and wildfire risk.